Tantalum Carbide Powder
We produce and stock customizable tantalum carbide (TaC) powders providing extreme hardness, excellent thermal stability, chemical resistance, oxidation resistance, and wear resistance.
- Wear surface (wear resistant) parts and coatings. Parts and coatings that undergo fretting, abrasion, cavitation, and particle erosion such as cyclones, fan blades, turbine blades, liners, chutes, hoppers and feeders.
- Corrosion resistant coatings. Tantalum carbide is used as a coating for parts requiring corrosion resistance such as vessels, piping, valves, and turbine blades.
- Mould coatings. Steel moulds used for aluminum alloys are coated in tantalum carbide to provide a wear resistant surface with a low coefficient of friction mould surface.
- Additives. Tantalum carbide powder is added to tungsten carbide/cobalt (WC/Co) to inhibit grain growth and increase hardness of the sintered structure.
- Thermal Spray Process - High Velocity Oxygen Fuel (HVOF). Tantalum carbide powders are thermal sprayed to form hardface coatings on surfaces requiring increased wear resistance.
- Powder Metallurgical (P/M). Tantalum carbide powders are pressed into parts through hot or cold pressing and sintering.
- Molar Mass: 192.96 g/mol
- Density: 14.53 g/cm3
- Melting Point: 3880°C
- Boiling Point: 5500°C
- Hardness: 2000 Knoop / 9-10 Mohs
- Vickers Hardness: 17.65 GPa / 1800VHN
- Young's Modulus: 285-630 GPa
- Poisson's Ratio: 0.1719-0.24
- Thermal Conductivity: 22.2 W/m·°C
- Appearance: Light to Dark Brown